Undergraduate Study Abroad

Disability & Accessibility

As you prepare for your experience, we encourage you to discuss any concerns you may have related to a disability or accessibility while abroad with your study abroad advisor.

Disability Accommodations

As part of the commitment to help all students reach their full potential, Brown University offers equal educational opportunities and reasonable accommodations for the needs of qualified students with disabilities, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Things to Consider

You should be aware that the level of accessibility, services, and accommodation to which you have access at your home campus may not be available at the program site and host universities. Other countries may provide access and accommodations in different ways. Learn about the cultural aspects regarding individuals with disabilities in the country(ies) where you will be studying and traveling, and think about how you will interact in a new cultural environment with your disability.

Early Planning

If you are planning to study abroad, you are not required to inform your study abroad advisor or program provider of a disability. However, many accommodations require early planning, and requests for accommodations that are made as early as possible (preferably as you begin to plan your study abroad experience) will enable us to better assist you. 

Student and Employee Accessibility Services

If you are already registered with Student Accessibility Services [EXTERNAL SITE] to receive disability-related academic accommodations, your accommodations information is not automatically transferred from the SAS Office to the study abroad advising team. Please contact SAS, which in turn will coordinate with study abroad advising and your program provider (where applicable) regarding accommodations. 

Students planning to study abroad who may need accommodations or services due to a disability or medical condition, and who are not yet registered with SAS, should contact SAS to discuss their needs and begin the registration process as early as possible in order to allow time to review the specific requests. Disability-related requests for accommodations and services are evaluated individually by the SAS staff, based on documentation and completion of the registration process.

For more information, please contact SAS at 401-863-9588 or by email at SAS@brown.edu.

Medical Conditions and Physical and Mental Health

If you have physical or psychological concerns or conditions that require on-going treatment or monitoring, you should consult with your physician and/or psychiatrist about the prospect of studying abroad. For example, if you are on medication, discuss with your physician the type of care you may need while abroad and the best way to continue your regimen. Seriously consider the consequences of stress from cultural adjustment and relying on different medical practices; pre-existing physical and mental health conditions may be triggered or intensified by the stress of adjusting to unfamiliar surroundings.

Keep in mind the range of health care and counseling and support services available to you at your home campus will not be available overseas. Identifying your health considerations prior to studying off campus will help you determine what resources will or will not be available while abroad. If you have questions about the resources available at your program site, please contact your study abroad advisor.