Before You Apply
Before You Apply, Explore!
Before applying to a study abroad program, it’s important for you to consider what program elements best suit your academic, professional, and personal needs and interests. As you conduct your research for a study abroad program, you should reflect on the following questions:
- What am I hoping to accomplish through study abroad?
- What are my academic needs? Are there specific courses I’ll need to take for concentration credit?
- When is the right time for me to study abroad? Your concentration advisor may be a great resource for thinking through this as well.
- What are my other priorities as it pertains to selecting a study abroad program? (e.g. financial, health, social identity)
Discovering the right study abroad program can be daunting, but rest assured you have a host of resources to support you along the way including your study abroad advisor, your concentration advisor, the financial aid office, and your friends and family.
We invite you to start your program exploration process here.
Independently Exploring Programs
If you have a solid understanding of how study abroad works at Brown, you’re ready to search through our program database to find a program that aligns with your goals and needs. We invite you to start your program exploration process here by creating login for the Brown Study Abroad Application Portal. If you would like to quickly see the portfolio of programs without creating a login, you can use this direct link.
Guided Program Exploration
If you could use a bit more guidance as you search for the right study abroad program, we invite you to do the following:
- Attend a Study Abroad 101 session (see listings on our calendar) or watch a Pre-Recorded Session. Study Abroad 101 is a great opportunity to learn how study abroad works at Brown and what the next steps are in the planning process.
- Schedule an advising appointment with a study abroad advisor. Your study abroad advisor is a great resource to help you refine your goals for study abroad to ultimately help you find the best program for you.