Undergraduate Study Abroad

Credit Transfer

Information on transferring credit for study abroad programs and concentration credit.

Our office will send you reminders during the semester to help you complete the credit transfer process correctly. In addition to thoroughly reading our messages, it is critical that you read through study abroad transfer credit guidelines so you know what to expect in terms of the credit you earn on study abroad.

Brown/CASA Programs

Brown Students

For Brown students on Brown/CASA programs, general degree credit will transfer with a grade of C or higher (for concentration credit approval, see below.) Transcripts from the Brown/CASA programs are sent directly to our office. You will be notified when your transcript is available for pick up.

Visiting Students

Visiting students on Brown/CASA programs should work with their home institution to ensure that they are meeting requirements. Brown will ensure that all transcripts from Brown programs are sent to the appropriate office, as directed by the student or home institution.

Non-Brown Programs (Approved and Petition)

It is essential that you have your official transcript for your study abroad semester(s) sent to the Office of the Registrar at Brown; otherwise your credit will not transfer and your courses taken while studying abroad will not count toward your Brown degree.

  1. Have your official transcript from your study abroad program sent to the Office of the Registrar at Brown. Check with your study abroad program to be sure you have completed any necessary paperwork.
  2. The Office of the Registrar will notify you after your transcript has been received.
  3. Once the Office of the Registrar receives your transcript, they will forward it to our office for credit evaluation. Please allow for at least a week for us to complete the evaluation process. General degree credit will transfer with a grade of C or higher (for concentration credit approval, see below.)
  4. After your transcript is evaluated, it will then be sent back to the Office of the Registrar so your course titles and credits can be posted on your Brown transcript. 

Transcripts can be sent electronically to registrar@brown.edu if the program provider or host institution offers password-protected, secure, online transcript delivery (i.e. not just an attachment that is password protected.)


If electronic delivery is not an option, official transcripts should be mailed to:

Student Records Coordinator

Office of the Registrar

Brown University

Box K

69 Brown Street

Providence, RI 02912 USA

Concentration Credit

To obtain concentration credit from study abroad, you must complete the approval request through the "Declarations" section in the ASK/Advising Sidekick system at Brown. You may do this once the study abroad credits appear on your Brown transcript.  Step by step "Concentration Approval" instructions for both students and concentration advisors can be found on this Brown IT Help Page

Credit Transfer Policies

Learn more about transferring credit from your study abroad program.

View Policies

Additional Topics

It’s never too early to start exploring professional development opportunities, especially now that you have returned from your study abroad experience with honed skills and new perspectives.
Now that you are back, it is likely that you will want to participate in internationally-focused activities. Below you’ll find some suggestions of how to maintain your global engagement through opportunities at Brown, in the local community, and beyond.