Undergraduate Study Abroad

Billing & Refund Policy

Information regarding billing and the application of University refund policies to study abroad.

Student account statements will be made available online only. Refer to Student Financial Services Student Account & EBill Schedule for additional information.

Non-Brown Students Participating in Brown/CASA Programs

Non-Brown students will pay home institution or Brown directly, depending on the institutional agreement. Contact your home study abroad office for more information. All non-Brown students must submit a “Study Abroad Advisor Form” as part of the study abroad application, which indicates whether you or your home school will pay tuition, housing, and other program costs.

For specific questions regarding your tuition bill and payment please visit the Student Financial Services website.

Brown Students Participating in Alternative Programs

Payment for instructional costs should never be paid directly by the student to another institution or program provider. Brown will pay for instructional and related academic programming costs under Brown’s Home School Tuition Policy.

Brown students will pay all other costs, such as application fees, deposits, travel fares, vaccinations, room and board, health insurance, and books. If you’re not sure what is included in the program provider/host university’s “program fee,” please contact the program provider/host university directly. These programs will break down the bill so that they can bill the tuition and academic charges to Brown and the other charges to the student.

If you receive a bill from a program provider/host university that includes instructional costs, you should inform the provider/host university that Brown should be billed for that portion of the fees. The alternative program provider/host university should send bills for instructional and related academic programming costs to:

Lyn Messina, Financial Analyst
Brown University
Box 1973
Providence, RI 02912

Withdrawal from Study Abroad Programs After Commitment

Withdrawing from your study abroad program after commitment (after submitting the Study Abroad Leave & Commitment Form in ASK) may result in financial responsibilities:


  1. Tuition: Brown Tuition Leave Refund Policy

For all study abroad programs, including Brown / CASA,  petition, and approved programs, students who withdraw after submitting a Commitment Form, are subject to Brown's Tuition Leave Refund Policy. Be advised, the tuition refund policy is based on the start dates of Brown’s standard semester according to the academic calendar.

  1. Other Program-related Costs (such as housing, meals, etc.) 

In addition to financial responsibility to Brown, students may be responsible for fees to their specific program provider or host institution. For details related to financial responsibility for program fees, students should refer directly to the program provider or host institution's policy for deposits and potential refunds.


Brown is not responsible for any indirect costs paid directly by the student, including, but not limited to, passport and visa fees, vaccinations, and transportation costs.


Knowing the non-tuition fees and estimated on-site costs for your program will help you determine whether your semester abroad will cost less or more than a semester on campus.
Financial aid can be applied toward the cost of a semester or year-long study abroad program if all financial aid application requirements are met.
The Airfare Assistance Program is intended to assist Brown students with demonstrated financial need who do not have the immediate funds to cover the costs of airfare for their study abroad program.