Undergraduate Study Abroad

Academic Standing

Brown's College Curriculum Council requires that students be in good academic standing to study abroad.

In addition, many study abroad programs have specific GPA requirements.

Brown students in good academic standing may study abroad for a semester or a year during their sophomore (after declaring concentration), junior, or senior year. Most students study abroad during their junior year. Students may also study abroad during the summer. 


Educational systems vary widely around the world. To study abroad, students must demonstrate that they are firmly grounded at Brown, both personally and academically. Students studying abroad must be flexible and mature enough to adjust to different—even difficult—circumstances in their daily life and classes abroad.


Students on Academic Warning may be allowed to submit an application to study abroad, but must meet with a study abroad advisor and acacademicacademic advising dean to discuss their circumstances before they apply. All students must be off Academic Warning at the time that they go abroad. Students currently on Probation with Restrictions or Suspension from Brown or who are on  Serious Academic Warning will not be allowed to submit an application to study abroad. 

Additional Topics

Where possible, Brown requires students to pursue their studies entirely in the language spoken in the host country. For this reason, students must demonstrate competency in the host country's local language before studying abroad. 
Information about academic standing, language requirements, and research opportunities.